Friday, October 30, 2009

ABOUT COLOR


As anyone who works with color knows, red gets redder when it is seen close to a cool color in the blue-green range. This little painting, Saiph, is about red. I find it easier to put a painting together when the objective is to play up a color. To quote Matisse: “When I put colors together, they have to join a living chord, like a musical chord or harmony.” I think of what happens when the painting becomes “right” is that it takes on energy. I like to believe that is a kind of human energy made visible. And that might explain why some literature or music or other kind of artistic expression can bring an emotional response to the listener or reader or viewer.
Saiph is a one-of-a-kind original, measures 9 x 7” and is mounted in a 14.5 x 11.75” acid-free mat. It is made of archival materials, mostly acrylic paint and collage elements that I make in my studio. For information on framing, please see "Framing Notes" in the sidebar on this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment