Friday, May 21, 2010

About Blogging

Blogging, or better said, writing about oneself and putting it out for the world to read seems to me a little odd. What does any of it matter unless it is for someone we are connected to? And even then, how often do we have something to report that is of real interest to anyone but ourselves? I hesitate to write of any struggle or success in my life because it seems insignificant in the bigger scheme of things. Wars, famines, disease and other catastrophes take great numbers of lives; of what consequence is one life?

And yet our lives are precious and important to us and worthy of examination. Writing requires thinking and reflection. I believe that most of the thinking I do is in the service of coming to terms with the realities of life and of death. I want to stand back and see the big picture, to accept and understand that lives come and go, and to protect myself from the sorrow of loss.

Some Russian writer I read long ago said something about how the mistake we make is to be so attached to the people in our lives and the world around us, given the ease and speed with which it can all disappear. I see it in the newspapers every day and wonder at the good fortune that has been mine. Knock on wood.

The image above is an 8.5 x 11" detail of Clippings, ©2008, Acrylic & Mixed Media on Paper. For information about any of the paintings on this site, please email Joan.

2 comments:

  1. Great Post. I know I could benefit from understanding life passes us by like a flowing river.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog has become one of my top favorites. Your examinations of the life of an artist apply to so many of us.

    Indeed, we need to find meaning and a little mutual understanding in our fragile existences. Personally, I enjoy blogging and reading others' blogs because it gives me encouragement and a sense of connectedness.

    I love that detail of Clippings, too.

    ReplyDelete