Friday, July 9, 2010

About Blogging

I don’t walk unless I want to get somewhere and I try (with limited success) not to speak unless I have something to say. Why then this commitment to writing something for an invisible audience every week? And why are so many of us doing this?

Wikipedia says: The personal blog, an ongoing diary or commentary by an individual, is the traditional, most common blog. Personal bloggers usually take pride in their blog posts, even if their blog is never read. Blogs often become more than a way to just communicate; they become a way to reflect on life, or works of art.

I require isolation for work and am fond of solitude and silence. But enough is enough. I want my paintings to be seen. Admired too, if I can make that happen. And sold is really nice. So the answer for me is that I do this blog out of necessity. I have found that I like doing it. Big surprise. Fortunately for me, as any of my friends and family can attest to, I am rarely at a loss for words.

There must be an endless variety of reasons for blogging, but basically it is just one. We want to have some kind of recognized presence in this world and to feel some sort of connectedness. That’s why we invented language, right?

My nephew Lorenzo (at The Alchemist’s Pillow) quoted the Portuguese poet Fernando Pessoa:
What could anyone confess that would be worth anything or serve any useful purpose? What has happened to us has either happened to everyone or to us alone; if the former it has no novelty value and if the latter it will be incomprehensible.

The image above is Portulaca ©2010, Giclée Print, size varies. For information or to purchase any of the paintings on this site, please email Joan.

1 comment:

  1. We may be invisible but we are very real. Your blog has become a special Friday afternoon treat.

    ReplyDelete