Friday, January 27, 2012

About Disorder



Writer Anais Nin said: "When I cannot bear outer pressures anymore, I begin to put order in my belongings…As if unable to organize and control my life, I seek to exert this on the world of objects."

As I create chaos in the process of moving home and studio, I fantasize about the moment when I will look at the piles of boxes and the general disorder we have created at the new home — and at the contents of my studio which are now housed in a storage unit. I look forward to making order from that awful jumble.

I believe that is what art is about. One takes control and makes something to one’s own notion of order or beauty or whatever it is that satisfies and rewards the mind and/or the senses.

I expect to be in that mode again soon. In the meantime I will spend as much time in my fantasies of the future as the reality of today will allow.

The images above are of my studio in the past when everything was in place. 

2 comments:

  1. Love all that color. What a happy place to work in! I do the same thing. When I'm too tired to work or feel the world closing in, I organize.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is a happy place. And I miss it terribly right now.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete