Friday, July 8, 2011

About Being Civilized

My manner of writing requires that I spiral into myself, somewhat like a corkscrew, to reach that place within where I really reside. Only when I get there can I write anything that feels true. 

I have to be careful about what I take from that place as I am naturally opinionated and critical. How then to be really truthful and not cause offense? Well, it means choosing my words thoughtfully and considering with care the possibility of irritating my audience, or worse, alienating them. If I want to keep my reading public, and I do, I need to be honest and at the same time, prudent. Sometimes the beast escapes for a moment. My guess is that most of us harbor a wretch who poses no danger to anyone but ourselves. There’s a difficult balance to keep; sometimes I succeed and sometimes I’m not brave enough. I’m getting there.

I find that the most honest of writers, those that bare themselves bravely and dare say it all, are poets. There is more pain, fear, anger and love in poetry than in prose as a general rule. Some times, as was the case when I read Anne Sexton I become afraid for the writer. How could she dare to become so visible?

Painting, like writing, is grateful for the time you devote to it. I went to school; I read about it; I learned from other painters, but mostly I have learned by watching what paint does when I use it and by staying with it through the highs and lows. The highs have been rewarding and during low times, the painting itself has been the reward.

I speak here often on subjects that I do not completely understand. The creative operation puzzles and surprises me, but always, always, I am grateful for it.


For those who have been waiting to buy a painting, now’s the time. I am planning to move, as soon as I find the right space. To ease the ordeal, I am selling pre-2006 inventory online at Artful Home, at a 50% discount. The sale begins next week on July 13th; I will send out an email announcement as a reminder. The painting above is Interlude, ©2001, Acrylic on paper mounted on canvas, 9”x 26.5”.

2 comments:

  1. It has been a pleasure watching the growth of the poetry in your prose as you continue to drill down into your place of personal truth.

    I love being a part of that expedition whether it travels through the poetry, prose, colors or the conversational jazz of psychotherapy or other forms of intimate discourse.

    Thanks for your disclosing musings.

    Ange Lobue, MD, MPH, BSPharm
    American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
    Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
    trinidadca@gmail.com

    Ange Lobue, MD, MPH, BSPharm
    American Board of Psychiatry &Neurology
    Academy of Television Arts & Sciences
    trinidadca@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. And always a pleasure to hear from you, Ange.

    ReplyDelete